4. What is Process Builder?
• Introduced as part of the Lightning Framework “a point and click tool for
automating business processes” sits under Workflow & Approvals.
– Similar to Workflow…
• Processes driven by users manipulation of Records
• Workflow Actions Email Alerts, Approval, Field Updates
– But much more…
• Actions can be Immediate or Scheduled
• New Actions, Manage Child Records, Post to Chatter,
Call Flow, Call Apex
5. What is Process Builder?
Next Generation Workflow New Actions
Multiple “Rules” in 1 process
6. Process without Programming
• Built for all Admins - from
beginners to advanced
• Easy edit lets users respond
quickly to business changes
• Creates a shared canvas for IT
and the Business to collaborate
actions with a
8. Process Builder Use Case
• Create related Child Records
– “Create a Contact when an Opportunity is Closed”
• Update records
– “Keep Contacts address in sync from Account”
• Post to Chatter
– “Update Opportunity won on Chatter”
10. What are Invocable Methods?
• When standard Process Builder Actions are just not enough, do I
have to stop using Process Builder?
• A means to extend Process Builder with Apex! *
– Have developers think about exposing ‘actions’
– Consider packaging actions for greater reuse
* It is also possible to extend the Salesforce Visual Flow tool in the same way.
Invocable Methods can also be called Salesforce REST API, e.g. mobile clients
11. Invocable Method Example A
NOTE: None void return types from
Invocable Methods are supported,
but are not of interest to Process
12. Invocable Method Example B
NOTE: Note use of label and required variables enhance the
Process Builder UI for the end user
15. Invocable Methods Best Practices *
• Single Invocable method per apex class.
• Not available via Triggers
• Must be static & public/global
• Parameter/ReturnType with data-type :
Primitive data type or a list of primitive data type
List of sObject type – generic sObject not supported.
List of user-defined type
• Once added in package, can’t remove from later versions.
• Make use of label, description and required annotation
attributes to make your methods more accessible to end users of Process
16. Process Builder Hot Topics
• What are the limitations on deleting a process ?
• How Can I move processes from one org to another ?
• Formula Limitations ?
• How do I know which automation tool to use ?
• Can I create Task with Process Builder ?
• Community Blogs featuring Process Builder and Incovable Methods
– Lightning Process Builder and Invocable Methods
– Extending Lightning Process Builder and Visual Workflow with Apex
– The Revolution !! Invocable Power - Spring 15
– Controlling Internet Devices via Lightning Process Builder
– Process Builder Workflow Automation Group
• General Gotchas
– Process Builder Bulkification issue with field expressions
– Salesforce Process Builder Known Issues
• Go Faster with Process Builder!
– Reduce Implementation Time
• Many use cases previously only possible with Apex Triggers now possible
with clicks not code via Process Builder
– Developers and Admins Working Closer Together to automate more!
• Think about ways to extend Process Builder via Invocable Actions
– Opportunities to create Libraries of Invocable Methods to share
• Invocable Methods can be packaged