•The Internet is growing rapidly. It has given rise to new opportunities in every field we can think
of like entertainment, business & education.
•There’re two sides to a coin. Internet also has it’s own disadvantage, i.e. Cyber crime.
• To provide a general awareness of Cyber crime.
• To Recognize Cyber-crime methods.
• To know the importance of Cyber-laws(LOVE
BUG Suspects+ loss 10$ billion) .
• To learn how to keep away from being a victim .
4. Cyber Crime ??
• Crime committed using a computer and the internet to steal a
person’s identity or illegal imports or malicious programs.
• Cybercrime is nothing but where the computer used as an object or
subject of crime.
5. Why Should we know about CyberCrime?
• In this Tech-savvy world of 21st Century every one is engaged with internet,
through whatsapp, twitter, facebook, net banking & lots of other platforms are
• And some criminal minded persons commit crimes here, which is included
• So we should be aware about crimes happening around in the cyber-space.
6. Cyber Criminals
•Person or Group who commits Cyber Crime using computers
•Hackers, criminals groups, hacktivists, virus writers, terrorists
• The first recorded cyber crime took place in the year1820.
• The first spam email took place in 1978 when it was sent over the Arpanet.
• The first VIRUS was installed on an Apple computer in 1982 .
10. Cyber Criminals used
The Computer as a Target : using a
computer to attack other computers. E.g
Hacking, virus/worm attacks, Dos attacks
The computer as a weapon : using a
computer to commit real world crimes.
E.g Cyber terrorism, credit card frauds,
Child pornography etc
12. Against person:
• Harassment via emails, cyber stalking, email spoofing, carding, assault by threat.
• The potential harm of such a crime to humanity can hardly be overstated.
13. Against Property:
• Cybercrimes against all forms of property.
• Unauthorized computer trespassing through cyberspace, computer vandalism, transmission of
harmful programs, and unauthorized possession of computerized information.
14. Against Government:
• Cyber Terrorism, Damaging critical information infrastructures.
• The growth of Internet has shown that the medium of Cyberspace is being used by individuals
and groups to the international governments as also to threaten the citizens of a country.
• This crime manifests itself into terrorism when an individual "cracks“ into a government or
military maintained website.
Hacking in simple terms means an illegal intrusion or unauthorized access to or
control over a computer system and/or network.
17. Denial of Service(DOS)
• Act by the criminal, who floods the bandwidth of the victims network or
Internet server is flooded with continuous requests so as to crash the server
• Its an attempt to make a machine or network resource unavailable to its
20. Software Piracy
• Theft of software through the illegal copying of genuine programs.
• The counterfeiting and distribution of products intended to pass for the original
21. Credit Card Fraud
Personal information stolen from a card, or the theft of a card itself, can be used
to commit fraud.
Fraudsters might use the information to purchase goods in your name or obtain
unauthorized funds from an account.
26. Cyber Terrorism
• Use of Internet based attacks in terrorist activities. Terrorist attacks on the
Internet is by distributed denial of service attacks, hate websites and hate
emails, attacks on sensitive computer networks, etc.
• Technology savvy terrorists are using 512-bit encryption, which is impossible to
27. Cyber Crimes in Nepal
•Social Media Related Cyber Crime
•Piracy Related crime
•Fake Profile Marketing
•Threatening Using Email
•Online Business of Restricted Materials
28. Social Media Related Cyber Crime
Social Media related cyber crime in Nepal includes using Porn Content in social Media or
creating fake profiles to intentionally harm someone with the use of Facebook, Twitter,
Instagram or any social Media Platform
29. Fake Profile Marketing
Creating or using a fake profile, fake website or email to create a bad image or inappropriate
marketing is also considered as cybercrime.
30. Website Hacking
•Website Hacking means taking control from the website owner to a person who hacks the
•Nowadays most of the government websites are attacked by hackers. Many governmental
websites including the president’s website were hacked.
31. How to tackle these activities?
•Awareness is the first step in protecting yourself, your family and your business.
•Invest in Anti-virus, Firewall, and SPAM blocking software for your PC.
•Detect secure websites when conducting transactions online.
•Do NOT respond or act on emails sent from unknown sources.
32. Safety Tips to Cyber Crime
•Use antivirus software & insert firewalls
•Uninstall unnecessary software
•Check security settings
•Disable Remote Connectivity
•Use hard-to-guess passwords. Don’t use words found in
a dictionary. Remember that password cracking tools
•Never give your full name or address to strangers
•Learn more about Internet privacy
33. Cyber Security
•Internet security is a branch of computer security specifically related to the Internet.
•It's objective is to establish rules and measure to use against attacks over the Internet.
34. Cyber Security Advantages:
•The cyber security will defend us from critical attacks, hacks
•It helps us to browse the safe website.
•Internet security process all the incoming and outgoing data
on our computer.
•The application of cyber security used in our PC needs update
•The security developers will update their database every week
once. Hence the new virus also deleted
35. Cyber Law
•There is absolutely no comprehensive law on Cybercrime any where in the world. This is reason
that the investigating agencies like FBI are finding the Cyberspace to be an extremely difficult
•Cybercrimes fall into that grey area of Internet law which is neither fully nor partially covered by
the existing laws.
•However, countries are taking crucial measures to establish stringent laws on cybercrime.
Electronic Transaction act 2061 BS (2005 AD)
Information Technology Policy - 2000
•The key to protecting yourself is being aware.
• Cybercrime is about much more than hackers & not all cybercriminals are “hackers.”
•There is a whole other world that exists in cyberspace… make sure that your information travels
•Technology is destructive only in the hands of people who do not realize that they are one and
the same process as the universe.
•Cybercrime is a major problem – and growing .
•Stay Secure, Stay safe