Before we start – who am I
• 17+ years of IT life
• 8 years with SiteGround
• 7 years CEO at SiteGround
• Husband, dad
• Passionate about photography and geeky toys
• Addicted to cars and everything fast
• Your speed affects your Google rankings!
• Stay up under heavy load
• Save $$$ from servers, Save the Planet too!
• When your site is fast, you look professional
• Keep readers/customers happy & paying
Let’s get the basics done
• Keep Joomla! up to date
• Choose extensions wisely
• Deactivate unused extensions, update used
Don’t mind some cache?
• Use Joomla Cache in Global Configuration
– Setup Cache Properly – eg. Time to Live
• Some very good tutorials on Joomla Cache
Building your own templates?
• Simplify your templates as much as possible
• Keep in mind HTTP requests are expensive
• Minify and combine CSS and JS files
• Enable GZIP compression
Optimize your images
• Offload when possible
– serve images from a CDN or Flickr
• Never let the browser do your job! Resize
images for the web before uploading them!
• Smush your images -> smush.it
• Use image sprites when possible
Check how’s your website doing?
Check your template’s performance:
»Google PageSpeed Insights
Joomla has you covered!
• If you don’t know how to do it or are just lazy -
Explore the JED!
• You can use extensions to boost your website
Some highly rated extensions from the
• JCH Optimize – Combines JS and
CSS, Combines images in Sprites, Minify and
• Jbetolo – same as above but w/ CDN support
• JotCache – further improves the functionality
of the Joomla Built in Core Cache
• Cache Cleaner – allows for easier cache
cleaning within the Joomla Admin panel
The advanced stuff
• Most of these require SSH access/dedicated
environment/, and would require a skilled
sysadmin to do.
• Should be done by your host, should you use a
• Install RAM caching mechanisms
Memcache and APC/Eaccellerator
• Install reverse proxy
NginX or Varnish
• Choose your hosting platform wisely
• Use staging environment to benchmark
More software tweaks
• Use fast & secure PHP like FastCGI
• Move PHP binaries into RAM
• Move MySQL to a different hard drive. Use RAID
& SSD for lightning fast performance.
• Keep log files separate and small in size
• Move TMP to RAM
• CDN will help avoid unneeded I/O on your HDDs
• CDN will make your website faster
• CDN will appeal to both Google and your users
Easy to setup FREE CDN Providers
• Invest in hardware
Test at least 3 different hardware setups
Always benchmark performance and reliability
Add more RAM and Flash based disks and use
them on maximum capacity for caching and
The big question: which hosting platform
provides max performance?
Some key takes
• Shared can be a good platform contrary to the
common belief, but not always the right one
• If you need custom setup/deep customizations &
have a big website -> go for VPS/dedicated
• Dedicated/VPS & Cloud can perform much better
for you if you KNOW how to tweak them
More key takes
• Your site will perform better, regardless of the
platform should it’s optimized.
• There are tools that can help you speed up
your website, like extensions, CDNs and site
loading speed checkers.