1. TAYLOR SWIFT; YOU BELONG WITH ME This is a song about a lad and a girl that like each other but the lad is going out with one of the most popular girls in school, where as the girl he really likes is a bit of geek. This is shown by mainly the mise en scene and the lyrics are very sinister which shows the emotion and the meaning of the video. Started from 2:36
2. Camera: (started clip from 2:36) The camera begins by focusing on the girl and form then on it skips from her to him to her him. This is a bit like an over the shoulder shot which shows conversation. The camera is taken from outside the window which could suggest that they are being kept apart but as we can see through the glass that could represent hope and that they could get a chance to be with each other. The camera carries on taking shots outside of the window until he asks if she is going to prom and then the camera goes inside the window as she says “no, studying”, this could suggest that she cannot make her mind up what to do. It then goes back outside the window when it reverts back to the lad and this could show that he doesn’t know she is thinking about going. As soon as the guy leaves the bedroom the camera does a close up on the piece of paper that the girl has written “I Love You” on, this could suggest that she has changed mind because she realised its her chance to finally get with him. The camera then zooms in on both of them as she walks into the room. As it zooms into the guy this could show he is thinking WOW and that he is happy she went.
3. Mise-en-Scene: The lad is wearing a suite as he going to prom and the girl is wearing normal clothes. Also the girl has glasses on which suggests that she is known to be sort of a geek, whilst the lad is good looking so this tell us he is the popular one. Both of those shows that they are completely different because of their style. The things around them contain general teenage objects which show that they are still young so they get love struck easily and this song is about love. The paper pads that they use can suggest that they are kept apart and don’t really talk to each other at school because normally they would be texting so this once again shows the difference between the two. As soon as the guy walks away she moves a piece of a paper and we can now see a sheet saying ‘I Love You!’, this also shows that she is shy and feel intimidated by him being the popular one, so she doesn’t have the guts to tell him.
4. Sound: From the point of which the video has been analysed from, the music is still upbeat but it has a tense feeling which can show that they both have feelings for each other but don’t dare say anything. As they both start ending their conversation the music dies down and as soon as the lad walks out and shows the note ‘I Love You’, the music completely dies to show her true feelings and that she is sad about not being able to go with him. As the next scene approaches, she is walking into the prom and looks dead pretty so everyone is shocked to see her like that. This is emphasized by the music picking up again and then as the guy sees her it quickly slows down again which represents his reaction, that he is shocked but happy. Now the lad and the girl walk towards each other the music picks up and gets its beat back to show they are going to each other. The lyrics at the end go: ‘ You belong with me Have you ever thought just maybe You belong with me? You belong with me’ This goes with the sound because it slowly dies down so the girl has made her point.
5. Lighting: The light firstly starts off as bright inside the bedrooms and we can see that outside the house it is dark which can represent that both of them know how they feel but they don’t know about how each other feel. As we see the close up of the drawing “I Love You” the light shines bright on it and also shines on Taylor Swifts face so we can see the expression on her face. Next she then walks into the prom room and it is bright again and all the lights are shining on her. This shows that she is the main person there and everyone could be shocked to see her. As his ex tries to get his attention the light isn’t as bright which tells us that he doesn’t want her. Then again it goes back to the girl and boy and the main light is focused on them to show how much they like each other.
6. Editing: After the boy and girl have had there conversation the camera focuses on the girls face and then fades into another scene where she actually goes to the prom. This could show a change of scene and you represent that her feelings change which is why she decides to go to the prom.