• Empire magazine is a British film magazine which is published each
month. The first issue was published in July 1989.
• The target audience for empire magazine is for both male and
female readers. However the target audience is predominantly
middle class males, aged between 16-30. in addition the readers
are generally film enthusiasts as the magazine costs four pounds .
4. EMPIRE PUBLICATION PROFILE
• On each issue of Empire magazine you will find:
• On Location - on set reports from the hottest movies in production.
• Reviews - all of the month's cinema and home releases reviewed with
incomparable knowledge and insight.
• Masterpiece - critical analysis of a cinematic classics.
• My Movie Mastermind - in which famous face from film are tested on their
• Kim Newman's Video Dungeon - the renowned horror and sci-fi critic runs the
rule over the month's bloodier releases.
• Classic scene -an excerpt of a classic scene in screenplay form.
5. TOTAL FILM
• Total Film is a UK-based film magazine published 13 times a year
published monthly and a summer issue is added every year since issue
91, 2004 which is published between July and August issue by Future
Publishing. The price of the magazine is £4.00 and it also focuses on
British talent .
• The target audience for total film is predominantly males who are
between 18-35 who are dedicated film enthusiast who enjoy sharing
they opinions about films .However the magazine is less masculine
than empire so it is also targeted at females.
6. PUBLICATION PROFILE
• The magazine contains:
• all the major releases of the upcoming week,
• First look pictures and on-set reports.
• A-lister interviews.
• Unbiased reviews of every new film released.
• A celebratory section of trivia and film legacy insight to entertain
• SFX is the world's leading sci-fi, horror and fantasy magazine. he
magazine covers topics in the genres of popular science fiction, fantasy
and horror, within the media of films, television, videogames, comics
and literature. There are 13 issues of this magazine each year .The cost
of the magazine is £5.00.
• The target audience for SFX is more genre specific than the other
magazines as it's male orientated but not entirely . It appeals to a
expansive age range but to a niche audience, it's targeted at sci-
8. PUBLICATION PROFILE
• The magazine contains :
• Gossip on forthcoming TV imports and cancellations in the sci-fi
/fantasy world .
• The editors reveal if they are going to disclose a plot secret.
• Interviews from actors ,directors and authors.
• Provide positive and negative feedback on the movies which ensures
there is not a biased view.
• Behind the scene stories.
9. COMPARISON OF EMPIRE MAGAZINES
On each of the magazine covers the layout is very similar because the masthead is
always located at the top and is always big and bold. In addition the main
character is always seen in front of the masthead .The title of the film is always
located at the bottom of the magazine . The date and the price is placed on the M
of the masthead in all the covers.
10. MAGAZINE COVER ANALYSIS
The masthead is
located at the top of
the magazine and is
The price of the
magazine isn’t so
obvious as it is expensive
Title of the
The main character is always
presented in front of the
masthead and gives an insight
into the film, for instance the
main character is holding a gun
which could symbolise that there
is going to be action