HCL Infosystems Ltd.,a subsidiary of HCL, is an India-based hardware
and systems integrator with a focus on emerging markets.
It has a presence in 170 cities and 505 points of presence reaching 4000
towns throughout India and operations in emerging markets including
South Asia, Middle East & Africa. It has a strong distribution network of
93,000 outlets in over 9,000 towns in India. Its manufacturing facilities
are based in Chennai, Pondicherry and Uttarakhand. It is headquartered
The company operates under three primary segments:
Computer Systems and related products and services
Telecommunication & Office Automation
Internet and related services.
ABOUT THE HCL INFOSYSTEMS LTD.
A data center or computer centre (also datacenter) is a
facility used to house computer systems and associated
components, such as telecommunications and storage
systems. It generally includes redundant or backup power
supplies, redundant data communications connections,
environmental controls (e.g., air conditioning, fire
suppression) and security devices. Large data centers are
industrial scale operations using as much electricity as a
It is also known as server rooms in general language
INTRODUCTION TO DATA CENTER
• Data centers have their roots in the huge computer rooms of the
early ages of the computing industry.
• The boom of data centers came during the dot-com bubble.
Companies needed fast Internet connectivity and nonstop operation
to deploy systems and establish a presence on the Internet.
• . Many companies started building very large facilities, called
Internet data centers (IDCs), which provide businesses with a range
of solutions for systems deployment and operation.
• There is still a lot of development being done in operation practice,
and also in environmentally friendly data center design.
• Data centers are typically very expensive to build and maintain.
Various aspects of the data centers include:
• Facilities: layout, power/cooling, physical
• System infrastructure: servers, networking,
storage, and security;
• Applications, infrastructure mapping &
• Service management and operations
REQUIREMENTS FOR MODERN DATA CENTERS
• A data center can occupy one room of a building or
more floors or entire building.
• Most of the equipment is often in the form of servers
mounted in 19 inch rack cabinets.
• Three elements of the building of data center are
facility topology design (space planning), engineering
infrastructure design (mechanical systems such as
cooling and electrical systems including power) and
technology infrastructure design (cable plant).
• The aim is to create a master plan with parameters such
as number, size, location, topology, IT floor system
layouts, and power and cooling technology and
DATA CENTER PHYSICAL INFRASTRUCTURE
• It is involved the interior environment of a data center,
such as heating, ventilation and air conditioning
(HVAC); humidification and dehumidification
equipment; pressurization etc.
1. Methods for ventilating a building may be divided
into mechanical/forced and natural types.
2. Mechanical" or "forced" ventilation is used to
control indoor air quality.
MECHANICAL ENGG. INFRASTRUCTURE
• Central heating differs from local heating in that the
heat generation occurs in one place, such as a
furnace room in a house or a mechanical room in a
large building (though not necessarily at the "central"
• The heat is generally produced by the combustion of the
fossil fuel , and the produced is steam is circulated by
the air ducts.
• Increasingly, buildings utilize solar-powered heat
sources, in which case the distribution system normally
uses water circulation.
• The main aspects of the electrical engineering infrastructure are
utility service planning; distribution, switching and bypass from
power sources; uninterruptable power source (UPS) systems; and
• These design are of international energy standards and meet the
• Electrical configurations should be optimized and operationally
compatible with the data center user’s capabilities.
• Modern electrical design is modular and scalable, and is available
for low and medium voltage requirements as well as DC (direct
ELECTRICAL ENGG. INFRASTRUCTURE
• A Modular data center is a alternative to traditional data centers.
• A Modular data center can be placed anywhere data capacity is
• Modular data center systems consist of purpose-engineered
• It offer scalable data center capacity with multiple power and
• This can be shipped anywhere in the world, and can be added or
integrated in any other module.
• Modular data centers typically consist of standardized
components, making them easier and cheaper to build.
MODULAR DATA CENTER
Containerized data centers
In a portable data center the entire data center equipments are fitted into a
Standard shipping container which can be moved by a truck onto a ship.
Flexible Data Center is constructed of sheet metal components
that are formed into four data center halls linked by a central
Flexible data center