2. CODE OF ETHICS
• All students must come to class on time
(Attendance will be taken in first 5 to 10 mins)
• Students should remain attentive during class and
avoid use of Mobile phone, Laptops or any gadgets
• Respect faculty and staff through actions and
• Class participation is encouraged
3. Text Book
• Database Systems 8E, C.J.Date, Addison Wesley Pub.
• Database Systems: A Practical Approach to Design,
Implementation and Management 5E, R.Connolly and
P.Begg, Addison-Wesley Pub. Co (2009).
• Fundamentals of Database Systems, 5E, Elmasri and
Navathe, Addison-Wesley, ISBN: 0-201-74153-9.
9. The concept of a shared
10. A bit of History
• Computer initially used for computational/
• Commercial applications introduced File Processing
12. Manual File System
• Way of managing data using:
• Pen and Paper
• Data Storage:
• Record data on paper.
• File paper away into folders and cabinets.
• Data Retrieval:
• Locate paper from cabinets and folders.
• Retrieve data from paper.
• Main disadvantages: Data collection increased by
time to time and keeping track of data becomes
14. Computerized File Processing
Program and Data Interdependence
15. Computerized File Processing
Duplication of Data
Vulnerable to Inconsistency
16. Database System
A database system is a relationship between stored
data, a database, users and the hardware or
operating system used for the storage.
18. Advantages of Database
• Data stored in a database can usually last for a long
• Data stored in a database can be simultaneously
accessed by multiple programs
• Data stored in a database can be combined to produce new data