3. INTRODUCTION TO ROBOTICS
• Robots have become a subject of great interest now
• In our imagination, a robot is a machine that looks
and acts like a human being.
• Robots are, in fact, defined as man-made
mechanical devices that can move by themselves,
whose motion must be modeled, planned, sensed,
actuated and controlled, and whose motion
behavior can be influenced by programming.
• The term Robot was first used in 1920 in a
play called R.U.R(or)Rossum’s universal robots
by the Czech writer Karel Capek
• The word ‘Robot’ comes from the word
Robota meaning, in Czech, forced
5. WHAT IS A ROBOTICS ..?
• Robotics is a science of designing or building an
application of robots.
• Simply, Robotics may be defines as ‘The study of
• The aim of robotics is to design an efficient robot.
6. WHY ROBOTS NEEDED..?
Robotics is needed because:-
• Robots can work speed
• Can work in dangerous places
• Can do impossible tasks
• Robots assisting the handicapped
• Cheaper on a long term basis
• INDUSTRIAL ROBOTS:- It can used in industrial
• DOMESTIC(OR)HOUSE HOLD ROBOTS:-These
robots can used at home. This type robots includes many
quite different devices such as robotic vacuum cleaners,
robotic pool cleaners, sweepers, gutter cleaners and other
robots that can do different chores.
9. • MEDICAL ROBOTS:-These robots can used in medicine and
medical institutions .First and foremost surgery robots.
• SERVICE ROBOTS:- Robots that don’t fall in to other type
by usage. These could be different data gathering robots,
robots made to show off technologies, robots used for
• MILITARY ROBOTS:-It is used in military boarders
for bombs disposal and wars
• ENTERTAINMENT ROBOTS:-It is for children
Ex:-remote cars , toys etc
• Going to far away planets
• Giving us information that humans can’t get
• Working at places 24/7 with out any salary and food.
plus they don’t get bored
• They can perform tasks faster than humans and
much more consistently and accurately
• People can lose jobs in factories
• It needs a supply of power
• It needs maintenance to keep it running
• It costs money to make or buy a robot