3. Definition A resume is concise piece of SELF-ADVERTISING that is focused on a specific position or job title. What’s the main goal of a resume? To impress an employer so they will want to schedule an interview with you.
4. Resume Basics How long should a resume be? One page for most individuals. Sometimes it is two pages or more for professional occupations such as teaching, counseling or positions requiring a doctorate degree.
6. Resume Format: Header At the top of the page include your name, address, phone number, and email address What should you avoid with the header? Unprofessional email addresses: [email_address] [email_address]
7. Resume Format: Header Rosa L. Santos 2854 Independence Blvd Los Angeles, CA 91401 (818) 555-1234 [email_address]
8. Resume Format: Objective vs. Position statement Recruiters and hiring managers don’t like resume objectives because they focus on the needs of the job seeker rather than the needs of the potential employer. Objective Statement: “Seeking a software engineer position with a progressive employer where I can contribute to the development of new technologies and work with bright, committed people.” Position Statement: Senior Software Engineer with 10 years experience developing leading-edge technologies, managing multimillion dollar projects, and supervising over 75 employees.”
16. Professional Skills Professional Skills: Knowledge of HTML, MS Word, Excel, Typing speed:65 wpm Language: Advanced Spanish, Conversational Russian Computer Skills: Languages: