Managing your Business APIs is using WSO2 API Manager
1. Managing your business APIs using
WSO2 API Manager
Sanjeewa Malalgoda, Vijayaratha Vijayasingam
2. About WSO2
● Providing the only complete open source componentized cloud
■ Dedicated to removing all the stumbling blocks to enterprise agility
■ Enabling you to focus on business logic and business value
● Recognized by leading analyst firms as visionaries and leaders
■ Gartner cites WSO2 as visionaries in all 3 categories of application
■ Forrester places WSO2 in top 2 for API Management
● Global corporation with offices in USA, UK & Sri Lanka
■ 200+ employees and growing
● Business model of selling comprehensive support & maintenance
for our products
4. What we will cover today…………..
● Transforming web services , data feed , external APIs into
○ Business APIs
● Managing, Monitoring APIs on various aspects
○ Managing APIs
○ Monitoring and usage patterns
● How to secure, scale and control Business APIs
● Analyze and identify business patterns
○ API related Business use cases
5. What is an API ?
● In computer science we’ve used the term “Application
● APIs facilitate communication between different applications.
● “web services API” means some functionality that you can
invoke over the Internet.
6. Business APIs - API usages
Source : http://blog.programmableweb.com/2011/05/25/who-belongs-to-the-api-billionaires-club/
7. Business APIs - Enabling business
● The application programming interfaces (API) economy has arrived and is
growing thanks to the role it plays in IT industry.
● APIs came into picture with the growth of consumer-oriented applications
such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
● Twitter, facebook and google's popularity is large because users can
interact with the network through multiple channels and devices, which
made possible by APIs.
8. Business APIs - Driving revenue from the API
● For example, Pizza Ordering mobile application uses
○ Google Maps to locate nearby shops,
○ Communicate with point-of-sales system to place orders and
○ Connect with the bank Network to buy and refill pizza credits.
● Not only support this type of integration, but a good set of APIs ensures
this process is seamless and efficient.
9. Business APIs - Startups
For new companies, the API is a key part of the toolbox that has slashed
costs and development time in getting to market.
Data centers, servers, storage, databases, load-balancers and more are now
all programmable through an API.
Not only startups
APIs are not just for startups anymore.
Most of big companies are developing an API strategy.
This includes the well known companies like Google, facebook, twitter and
10. Business APIs -Challenges
● How to create API centric business?
○ For whom?
● Authentication & Authorization
● Subscription Management
● Access Provisioning
○ How to control access?
● Monitoring & SLA
11. Business APIs -Challenges
● Revenue Generation
○ Statistics collection
○ Billing Model
● Selling your APIs
○ Subscription Tiers
○ Fail safe
● many more..
19. Monitoring APIs - Traffic Monitoring
WSO2 API management platform lets you monitor APIs keeping an eye on traffic.
● Monitoring features include:
○ Monitoring - Get visibility into how your API or App is behaving understand
how your customers are using it
○ Troubleshooting - Quickly identify and fix problems to keep your customers
20. Monitoring APIs - SLA and QoS
WSO2 API management platform lets you manage quality-of-service for your APIs,
managing quotas and service-levels for individual Apps. Management features
● Performance and Scale - use our proven enterprise platform to ensure that your
API starts and remains blisteringly fast
● Protect Applications/ APIs - Avoid overloading your internal applications while
providing customers with guaranteed service-levels using our comprehensive
QoS management for SLAs and quotas
29. Business Patterns - Identifying and Analyzing
● Why it is important?
■ Enables us to have systematic and relevant information about
■ To Identify market potential
● How to do it?
■ Gather data
30. Business Patterns - Identifying and Analyzing
● WSO2 Business Activity Monitor (BAM) to collect and summarize runtime
● Sample to generate Billing and Usage for APIs.
● Extensible solution
32. Wrap Up…
● In this session, we covered some topics on ‘How Business APIs can be
managed using WSO2APIManager’.
○ Transforming external APIs into Business APIs.
○ Managing, Monitoring the APIs on various aspects.
○ How to secure, scale and control the Business APIs
○ Analyze and identify the business patterns.
33. Engage with WSO2
●Helping you get the most out of your deployments
●From project evaluation and inception to development
and going into production, WSO2 is your partner in
ensuring 100% project success