SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
• “seeking and giving of advice,information and
opinion,usually involving a consideration”.
• Physiotherapist provides customized advice
which enable individual or caregiver to achieve
client’s established goals or objective.
• This approach can inform the client how to
effectively contributes to rehab outcome.
• Defined as a planned learning experience using
a combination of method such as teaching,
counseling and behavior modification techniques
which influence patient knowledge and health
• Physiotherapy provided general information to
individual and caregivers.
• Education enables client to modify his/her
lifestyle and environment in order to have
increase control over health status or to promote
improvement in functioning.
Purpose of Patient Education
• Patient education cuts down medication non-compliance
and mistakes,which cuts health care
costs,improves patient care and satisfaction.
• Education also decreases anxiety,promotes
better planning,provides a sense of self control
and well being and improves psychological
Benefits of Patient Education
• Facilitate patients and families’ understandings of their
health status, options and consequences of care.
• Encourage patients to help with decision making.
• Increase the patient’s ability to cope with and manage
• Help patients learn behaviours, promote recovers and
• Increase patients’ potential to follow a health care plan.
• Increase patient confidence in their self care
• Decrease complications.
Role of Patient Education
• A planned and systematic approach to patient
education contributes to its effectiveness.
• Supported by various research finding.
The patient has right to know…
• About their condition or illness(information about
diagnostic,causes and prognosis)
• What is being
• How they can actively participate(e.g.
rehabilitation of self care)
• Refers to all educational experiences planned
with and for the patient by physiotherapist as a
component part to total care to positively effect
knowledge,attitudes and corresponding
behaviors and developing necessary skills for
purposes of reaching and maintaning a high
level of wellness.
• Mayo,1978 cautions physiotherapist against
overloading the patients;often because of a
therapist enthusiasm,a patient is given more
instructions than he can cope with,and
changes in lifestyle are demanded than the
patient is willing to make.
• Ley,1982 founded that the more information
patients receive,the more they forget.
• In fact,patient appears to forget about half of
the information their receive.
• They forget less when the information is
adjusted to their particular demands and
perception and when they not embarrassed
by worries or distressed by pain.
PATIENT EDUCATION CONSIST
1. Teaching and informing the patients about their
complaints or illness.
2. Instructions for home exercises
3. Advice and information.
4. General health education.
5. Counseling on stress-related problems.
1.Teaching and informing the
• Information about diagnostic,illness,complaint
• Origin and significant of symptom
• Causes of pain
First treatment session
• At the start of treatment, many patient suffer
from pain, are anxious about their complaint
• They may be worried and feel insecure about
the significance of the symptoms and prognosis.
• Accordingly, they:
-may focus on particular kind of information(e.g:
explanations about symptom, pain relief)
-and less reception to other information(e.g:
exercise,advice and counseling)
• Adequate patient education require the right
balance between patient’s wishes and
• Information is programmed to prevent overload.
• Dishman,1988-in the first few session,follow
instruction and perform exercis,1/3 to ½ do not
comply with exercise.
• Sluijis & Knibbe,1991-Second phase of
treatment should involve with attention to patient
compliance with exercise program.
• Problem contribute towards poor compliance
to prescribed strategies/education
a. Poor application of methods.
-inadequate information given on prescribed
-treatment regime too complex
-information and advice given not properly
-educational plan not properly drawn up and
evenly carried out
in stages, throughout the course of patient
b. Patient negative health belief and attitudes.
c. Poor patient-care provider relationship
d. Lack of social support
e. Under utilization of medicine.
Model of planning patient
• Visual material is the most effective way to
reinforce our ideas and ensure proper recall of
the exercises we want our clients to
perform.Most of us remember picture,images
and colours longer than the spoken word.
• Providing clients with visual hand-outs and
exercise instructions is one of the best methods
to make sure our information is understood and
Factor That Contribute
a. Provider related
• Language problem.
• Information overload.
• One way communication.
• Lack of communication skill.
b. Patient related
• Not listening-not pat attention.
• Patients anxiety status.
• Selective perception-different people interpret
c. Environment related
• External factor-noise,limited space.
• Lack of time to educate patient.
d. Massage related
• Encoding problem-ability to explain in a form
understood by patient.
• Unorganized massage.
• Incomplete massage-miss out important
How to reduce communication
1. Location-no disturbances/noise.
2. Language-simple and clear.
3. Need to know the feel forward-can suit the
massage according to receiver’s need.
4. Reduce communication link-personal verbal
massage/written of convey through someone.
5. Need to obtain feedback-find out weakness.
6. Use educational aids.
2. Instruction For Home Exercise
• E.g. stretching and strengthening exercise.
• Structure exercise programme.
• Required frequency.
• Monitoring exercise performance.
• Motivating patient to do it at home.
3. Advice and Information
• Defined as informing patient about the correct
way to deal with illness or symptom and about
measures to prevent recurrent of the symptom.
• E.g. using aid, self care, making adjustment in
work or sport.
4. General Health Education
• Defined as advice on healthy lifestyle
• E.g. information about fitness,obesity and effect
5. Counseling on Stress Related Problem
• Defined as explaining to patient the way
which their physical complaints may be
connected to stress related problem and
giving patient care and support when they
suffer discomfort, pain and handicap.
• Counted by 4 relevant behavior; exploring
,listening, supporting and explaining.
1. Education Develops Credibility
• Patient who are educated will have a greater
understanding of their condition and
treatment,and will be better equipped to take an
active part in the treatment process.
• Education will improve your patient’s treatment
4. Education Improve Compliancy
• When a client is discharge from your care they
will be greatly influence by the education
material they receive from you.
• If the material impresses them by being
informative and professional in appreance, they
will be left with a positive reaction to your overall