Genre: Action Roguelite
Developers: Flannel Bear Games
Release: Estimated Q1 2023
Version Played: Prototype V.1
Time Played: 20min
After playing the prototype for 20 minutes,
(3) potential usability issues were identified.
Issue #1: Unclear Game Objectives
- When starting the first stage, players are not provided
with any instructions or guidance.
- The screen does not display any details or hints
regarding the goals or objectives for successful
completion of the level.
- Players may experience confusion as the conditions
for success/completion are not clear.
- Players may be unable to complete the stage.
- This may lead players to become frustrated and stop
playing the game altogether.
Screen displaying the player’s stats,
special attacks, and gold.
However, no objectives are noted.
Issue #2: Inconsistent Performance of Special Attacks
- When executing the special attack “Salt Rain,” it will
sometimes randomly launch outside of the area targeted
by the player.
- Players may experience confusion as the special attack
performs differently than expected.
- This inconsistency may lead players to perceive a lack
of control over the combat mechanics and feel frustrated.
“Salt Rain” special attack executes north of
the player, outside of the target area.
Issue #3: Inefficient Upgrade Descriptions
- When players level up, they are prompted to choose from
a selection of upgrades, which are presented using lengthy
- The descriptions do not contain any keywords, icons, or
highlighted sections to indicate their function or value.
- Players may take a considerable amount of time to read
each description and compare the value of the upgrades.
- This may break players’ “flow” while in combat.
- Players may mistakenly choose an upgrade and miss out
on creating a good “build.”
Player is prompted to choose an upgrade
after leveling up. Upgrades can be special
attacks or passive abilities.