• Address: 8880 Williams Rd, Richmond, BC, V7A 1GH
• Service sector: Public - Community centres provide services
including “fitness, sport, age-related programs, events,
arts, leadership, etc.” that are beneficial to the general
public (Lunn, 2021, p.3).
• Class connection: Recreation – This is a recreational
example because South Arm Community Centre serves the
Richmond community by providing several different
recreation and leisure programs at a subsidized cost
through tax revenue. The municipal level of government is
”the level in which the recreation needs of the general
public are directly addressed through the offering of
recreation services” (Lunn, 2021, p.4), therefore, recreation
is served at these community centres through the various
facilities and programs.
• Address: 7551 Minoru Gate, Richmond, BC V6Y 1R8
• Service sector: Public – Minoru Arena provides services including “fitness, sport, age-
related programs, events, arts, leadership, etc.” that are beneficial to the general public
(Lunn, 2021, p.3).
• Class connection: This relates to physical education and recreation. At Minoru Arenas,
there are multiple facilities available to the public for free or at a low cost. There is a track
and field where people can exercise on their own or where teams also practice, a
swimming pool, and and ice rink. This is a place where people can continually reinforce
the “values and ideals of establishing a healthy lifestyle” (Lunn, 2021, p.3).
Address: 9180 No 1 Rd, Richmond, BC V7E 6L5
Service sector: Public - Community centres provide services
including “fitness, sport, age-related programs, events, arts,
leadership, etc.” that are beneficial to the general public (Lunn,
Class connection: This is a physical education and recreation example because,
“the municipal level of government is the level in which the recreation needs of
the general public are directly addressed through the offering of recreation
services” (Lunn, 2021, p. 4). West Richmond Community Centre serves the
community of Richmond by providing several recreational and leisure facilities
such as soccer fields, basketball courts, dance studios, gyms, etc. It also relates to
physical education because high school students that attend Hugh Boyd Secondary
will use some of these facilities (especially the gym) during their PE classes.
• Address: 10388 Nordel Ct, Delta, BC V4G 1J9
• Service sector: Commercial – Sports academies are
commercial sectors as the focus clientele is a “specific
market group” in this case hockey players, and “anyone
who can afford the service” as their revenue mainly comes
from the player fees (Lunn, 2021, p.6-7)
• Class connection: This relates to physical education and
coaching as the players are going to school while having a
major focus in hockey, being groomed by high level
coaches. They are constantly improving their physical
health while also improving on their physical literacy
through proper coaching.
• Address: 7468 Lansdowne Rd #305, Richmond, BC V7C 0B9
• Service sector: Commercial – Fitness world is profit oriented through the higher
membership and drop-in fees, it is known for providing ”quality products and services”
(Lunn, 2021, p. 8) and continues to remain competitive with other commercial gyms
through ways such as advertising
• Class connection: This relates to physical education and recreation as Fitness World has
multiple chains available to the public where people can go to improve their physical
strength and health in a high-quality environment
Address: 800 Griffiths Way, Vancouver, BC V6B 6G1
Service Sector: Commercial – Rogers Arena is an
example of indoor commercial recreation. It is majorly
profit oriented, and “serves public good of some kind”
(Lunn, 2021, p.6), which in this case is entertainment.
Class connection: This relates to recreation, as Rogers
Arena being the home of the Canucks is a place where
the public can enjoy high level hockey games while
enjoying other people’s company.
• Address: 409 Granville St #1351, Vancouver, BC V6C 1T2
• Service sector: Voluntary – viaSport British Columbia
strives to provide all athletes with equitable opportunities
to reach their full potential in sport. The select population
it targets are athletes, and the organization is “good for
society/community” (Lunn, 2021, p.9).
• Class connection: This relates to coaching as the
organization consists of community leaders who have a
background in sport and physical activity and are able to
mentor other younger athletes. viaSport also takes
responsibility for the coaches’ education through the NCCP
program which he have also been doing in class.
Athletes in Action
• Address: 20385 64 Avenue, Langley, BC, Canada V2Y 1N5
• Service sector: Voluntary – AIA is a non-profit Christian sports ministry, that thrives to
impact sporting communities by helping younger athletes reach their potential while
strengthening their faith in God. They consist of coaches and mentors “who establish
interest” (Lunn, 2021, p.8) in helping younger athletes, and the organization relies on
donations and sponsorships as a financial base (Lunn, 2021, p.9)
• Class connection: This relates to coaching and physical education as AIA hires beginner
and high-performance coaches to run several different programs/camps at varying skill
levels or intensities. They implement many of the coaching strategies we have learned
about in class during their sessions to help children increase their physical literacy and
abilities, and they also take on the important role of mentoring these athletes in their
• Address: #606-4980 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC, V5H 4K7
• Service sector: Voluntary – BCBSRA is a non-profit
organization for ”select populations” and “like-
minded individuals” (Lunn, 2021, p.9), which are
individuals who are blind or visually impaired, or
blind with additional disabilities who aspire to
participate in sport and physical activity.
• Class connection: This relates to coaching and
physical education as this organization trains
volunteer coaches to act as sighted activity guides
and mentor these visually impaired athletes so they
can still enjoy a healthy and active lifestyle.
Furthermore, this organization also promotes the
importance of physical activity in a healthy lifestyle
through educational programs and advocacy advice.