What is Regional Literature?
Give examples of Regional Literature
ACTIVITY: “GROUP SHARING”
1.) Think of a “disaster” or “hardship”
that you have experienced before in
life and share it with a group.
2.) Discuss how you and your family had
been able to cope with it.
3.) Share it with the whole class.
Remembering an Eruption
The eruption of Mt. Pinatubo in Pampanga was
one of the most cataclysmic events in Philippine
history. It was the second largest volcanic
eruption in the modern era.
It erupted on June 15, 1991. It was considered
as one of the most catastrophic eruption of the
4. About the Author and the Devices
He used in his Essay:
JOHN JACK WIGLEY – is the director of the
University of Santo Tomas Publishing House and
also a full time Professor in UST.
He is also a native of Angeles, Pampanga and
had to struggle with the identity of being what
has become known as “G.I. Baby” or the child of
an American serviceman and a Filipina bar girl .
He finished his PhD in Literature cum laude and
has the distinction of having his first creative
nonfiction dissertation at UST.
5. His memoir FALLING INTO THE MANHOLE is a
humorous examination of his experience as
someone who was always “different.”
What is an ESSAY?
ESSAY – comes from a French word “Essai” which
means trial or test.
- it is a prose composition of moderate
length devoted to a single topic from a limited
point of view.
- Its purpose is to explain or elucidate a
thought, a theory, an inkling or a standpoint.
6. TWO GENERAL KINDS OF ESSAY:
A.) FORMAL ESSAY – is an academic style by an
informed but objective third person. It has a
clear thesis statement and complete citations.
B.) INFORMAL ESSAY – is personal, intimate,
relaxed, conversational and frequently
What is the difference between TONE and
A TONE is the attitude being conveyed by the
language used by the writer.
A STYLE is a unique way of expressing oneself.
7. THREE PARTS OF THE ESSAY:
1. INTRODUCTION – hints or
relates to the main thesis/idea.
2. MAIN BODY – presents the
discussion and illustration of the
main idea raised.
3. CONCLUSION – presents the
generalization or insights of the
8. LITERARY WORKS – are works which are seen to be
well written and can stand the test of time.
HUMOR – it is a funny or amusing quality to
SCENE – is the division in a written work where an
action occurs without a break in time.
***** READING OF THE SELECTION *****
Discussion of the selection
9. About the Author’s Essay:
1. Why was the essay entitled “Home of the
2. What is the point of view used in the
3. What kind of essay is this?
4. What are the basic parts of an essay?
5. What effect does Wigley’s humorous tone
have on the essay?
6. What is the conclusion or generalization
that can be found in the essay?