The history of VR
Types of VR
Technologies of VR
Architecture of VR system
Applications of VR
Current problems &
4. WHAT IS VIRTUAL REALITY?
Virtual Reality refers to a high-end user
interface that involves real-time simulation
and interactions through multiple sensorial
Virtual Reality allows a user to interact
with a computer-simulated environment, be
it a real or imagined one.
5. VR is able to immerse you in a
computer-generated world of your
own making: a room, a city, the
interior of human body. With VR,
you can explore any uncharted
territory of the human imagination.
17. DEVICES USED IN VIRTUAL REALITY
Head-Mounted Display (HMD)
A Helmet or a face mask providing the visual and auditory
Use LCD or CRT to display stereo images.
May include built-in head-tracker and stereo headphones
18. Binocular Omni-Orientation Monitor
Head-coupled stereoscopic display device.
Uses CRT to provide high-resolution display.
Convenient to use.
Fast and accurate built-in tracking.
19. Cave Virtual Environment
Provides the illusion of immersion by projecting stereo
images on the walls and floor of a room-sized cube.
A head tracking system continuously adjust the stereo
projection to the current position of the leading viewer
20. Data Glove
• Outfitted with sensors on the fingers as well as an
overall position/orientation tracking equipment.
• Enables natural interaction with virtual objects by
hand gesture recognition.
21. Technologies Used in VR-Software
• Programming libraries.
• Provide function libraries (C & C++)
Complete programs with graphical
interfaces for creating worlds without
resorting to detailed programming.
22. Technologies Used in VR-Software
Software packages available in market
• Multiverse (Freeware)
• Virtual Reality Studio ($100)
• Sense8 World Tool Kit (WTK) (over
• Autodesk Cyberspace Development kit
23. Technologies Used in VR-Software
VRML(Virtual Reality Modeling
Standard language for interactive simulation
within the World Wide Web.
Allows to create "virtual worlds" networked via
the Internet and hyperlinked with the World
24. Technologies Used in VR-Software
Aspects of virtual world display,
interaction and internetworking can be
specified using VRML without being
dependent on special gear like HMD.
-VR models can be viewed by Netscape
or IE with a browser plug-in.
26. Components of VR
• Control the devices used to input
information to the computer. The object is to
get the coordinate data to the rest of the
system with minimal lag time.
• Keyboard, mouse, 3D position trackers, a
voice recognition system, etc.
27. Components of VR
–Core of a VR system.
–Takes the user inputs along with any tasks
programmed into the world and determine
the actions that will take place in the virtual
World Database (World Description Files)
–Store the objects that inhabit the world,
scripts that describe actions of those
30. Engineering and Design:
It gives better understanding of the design and
facilitates changes wherever necessary
• It helps to reduce the time and cost factor.
Examples: Building construction, car designing.
- Surgery simulation, phobia treatment, robotic
surgery and skills training.
• VR finds its application in nursing, dentistry,
health issues for the disabled.
33. Current Problems and Future Work
Cyber-sickness / simulator sickness
Lack of integration between application packages
High-level contact between participants in
34. Future of Virtual Reality
• The future of virtual reality is hard to predict but one
thing’s for sure the world of entertainment is going to see
a lot more of it. Virtual reality is starting to evolve into
video games and movies.
• The Nintendo Wii and Project Natal are great examples
because the user is performing physical movements to
interact with the game. Also many more 3-D movies are
being made and maybe in the near future they will all
become more immersive than the “Experience in Rome”
movie. Only time will tell.
• Virtual reality today is no more a fantasy.
• OPERATIONS IN DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENT
• TOXIC ENVIRONMENT
Man is a creative specie and only limit to VR
environment is the imagination and the
resources that are available to creator.