2. TOPICS TO BE DISCUSSED
• MEANING OF BLOOD TYPING
• MAJOR TYPES OF BLOOD GROUP
• TYPES OF BLOOD GROUPS AND THEIR X^S
• BLOOD TRANSFUSSION
• SAFE BLOOD TRANSFUSSION METHODS
• BLOOD PRODUCT
3. BLOOD TYPING
• Discovery of blood group was done KARL LANDSTEINER thus paved the way for safe
• Blood typing is a method to tell what type of blood you have. Blood typing is done so
you can safely donate your blood or receive a blood transfusion. It is also done to see
if you have a substance called Rh factor on the surface of your red blood cells.
• Blood type is based on whether or not certain proteins are on your red blood cells.
These proteins are called antigens. Your blood type (or blood group) depends on what
types your parents passed down to you.
4. BLOOD TYPING
• The difference of human blood depends on the presence or abscess depend on
certain molecules called antigens or antibodies.
• The antigens are located on the surface of the red blood cell and antibodies on
the blood plasma
5. ABO BLOOD GROUPING SYSTEM
According to ABO grouping system there are four types of blood group
• Blood group A
• Blood group B
• Blood group AB
• Blood group O
6. TYPES OF BLOOD GROUPS
Blood group A- If you have blood group blood group A you have A antigens on
your red cell and B antibody on your plasma.
Blood group B- If you have blood group blood group B you have B antigens on
your red cell and A antibody on your plasma.
Blood group AB- If you have blood group blood group AB you have A and B
antigens on your red cell and you don’t have antibody on your plasma
Blood group O- If you have blood group blood group O you don’t have A and B
antigens on your red cell thus you have A and B antibody on your plasma
8. RH FACTOR BLOOD GROUPING SYSTEM
• Many people have the so called rh factor on the red cells surface
• This is also an antigen and the one who have it are called rh positive (rh+) and
those who haven’t are called rh negative (rh-).
• A person with rh- blood does not have rh antibodies naturally on their blood
plasma. But a person with rh- can develop rh antibodies on their plasma if he or
she receive a blood from rh+ person whose rh antigen can trigger production of
• A person with rh+ blood can receive blood from rh- without any problems