Defines a child as any person below eighteen years of age
It defines different forms of sexual abuse, sexual harassment and
Regards the best interests and well-being of the child of paramount
Prescribes stringent punishment as per the gravity of the offence
Recognizes that the Intent to commit an offence, even when unsuccessful,
needs to be penalized.
• Special Juvenile Police Unit
• the local police
• Report is ascribed an entry number and recorded
• Is entered in a book to be kept by the Police Unit
• Is read over to the informant
What to see?
• Six months imprisonment or fine or both
What you must Know?
No child to be detained in the police station in the night.
Police officer should not be in uniform.
Recording the statement of the child at the residence of the child
or at the place of his choice.
Medical examination of the child to be conducted in the presence
of the parent of the child or any other person in whom the child
has trust or confidence.
In case the victim is a girl child, the medical examination shall be
conducted by a woman doctor.
Evidence has to be recorded within 30 days.
Frequent breaks for the child during trial.
Child not to be called repeatedly to testify.
No aggressive questioning.
In-camera trial of cases
• POCSO circular 2015 by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE):
• The teachers, management and all the employees are bound to
report any instance of child abuse.
• In-house induction sessions
• School in should promote harmonious environment and
• In Residential Schools training programs should be provided to the
wardens and personal care and guidance to the girl children with a
female matron for their dormitories.
• School Complaints Committee must be set up to serve as
complaints and Redressal body.
• Informal conversations