MEM/ECE-491 : Senior Design Proposal Presentation
Group Number: ECE-xx
Advisor: Dr. X
Co-Advisor: Dr. Z
Introduction (1 to 3 slides)
• Give a brief introduction of the field of the
– i.e. There is a need to quickly measure radiation levels around a
Nuclear Reactor in the event of an Emergency situation
• Specify the things that need to be addressed with
regards to solving or improving an existing
solution to the problem.
– The current method is xxxx, it takes over 2 hours to get reliable
data and requires special processing…..
• Who are the stakeholders? What are their needs?
Background (3 to 6 slides)
• In this section specify the hardware and software
requirements of your project.
– Describe any specific standards or regulations that must be
met (CE, UL, software standards TCPIP etc) -keep in mind
that for any standards you specify, you will be questioned
on why they must be met and how do you plan to meet
• Briefly describe the results of any background search
you have performed (i.e. existing products that solve
the problem, existing patents, etc.), that will help the
committee get a better understanding of the concepts
involved in your project and mainly your understanding
of those concepts.
Problem Statement (1 slide)
• Clearly state the problem being worked on.
(Make sure it is concise and clear. This should
encompass the main issues being addressed)
• E.g. We plan to build a preprogramed UAV with various
radiation detection sensors to visit a variety of predefined key
locations, take measurements and send the information back
to a central server for display and analysis
• Describe the conceptual options developed to
meet the specs.
• Describe your concept evaluation process
(1 to 6 slides)
• Provide a detailed description of your chosen
• You MUST provide a block diagram, system
diagram, Software architecture diagram, etc or
some form of pictorial representation of the
• Operational description of your proposed
• Discuss why your solution is feasible and can be
built by your team
Potential Impacts (1-4 slides)
• State what are the Economics, Environmental,
Social and Ethical impacts that you think that
solving your proposed problem and your
particular solution to the proposed problem
• DO NOT WRITE THAT YOUR PROJECT HAS NO
IMPACTS for a given context – work with your
advisor to answer this question, draw form
your VSD activity
Team Member Responsibility (1 slide)
• State what were and will be the
responsibilities of each of the team members.
– table might be useful
• You might be questioned on why a certain
member has been allocated a certain duty.
• We will also examine if all group member are
share similar workload and their skills are
being utilized effectively.
Out of Pocket Budget
FPGA board $50.00
Rasbery Pi $40.00
Amazon Web Services $60.00
Contingecy Cost (30%) $72.00
This is actually what you spent so far or plan
to spend, do not get down to level of 10 cent
resistors or 6 inch lengths of wire. Include
details of external funding (Dewar, Advisor
Fall Progress (1 to 4 slides)
• State the work you have carried out towards
attaining your stated deliverables and state
the results you have obtained.
– Reference to your deliverables
– Videos or demos are good
Time Line (1 slide)
• The timeline should be for the period of nine
months and it must include the various significant
tasks that your group will carry out and when.
Also overlay completed tasks and the time taken
to complete them.
• Remember that writing reports making
presentations are also important part of the
Senior Design Process, as such they need to be
represented in your timeline.
• This should be a Gantt Chart.
• What distinguishing features of your proposed solution?
• How are you creating value for the customer or stakeholder?
• Anything else that may be important
• Anticipate questions and include things like
schematic, movie of something completed or
some other results/ charts/ graphs