Artificial intelligence on Science, Environment, Technology, and Society, by Diganta Chaudhuri
Presented By: Diganta Chaudhuri (US16009)
XAVIER INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT BHUBANESHWAR
XAVIER SCHOOL OF SUSTAINABILITY
WHAT IS AI?
• From SIRI to self-driving cars, artificial intelligence (AI) is progressing rapidly. While
science fiction often portrays AI as robots with human-like characteristics, AI can
encompass anything from Google’s search algorithms to IBM’s Watson to autonomous
• Artificial intelligence today is properly known as narrow AI (or weak AI), in that it is
designed to perform a narrow task (e.g. only facial recognition or only internet searches or
only driving a car).
• System Demonstrated Intelligence.
• AI research uses tools and insights from many fields, including computer science,
psychology, philosophy, neuroscience, cognitive science, linguistics, operations research,
economics, control theory, probability, optimization and logic.
• Robotics, control systems, scheduling, data mining, logistics, speech recognition, facial
recognition also included.
• AI in the environment is mostly a force for good.
• Robots can operate in hazardous situations.
• Automated instruments can be placed in remote places.
• Can lead to earlier, more accurate warnings.
• Human-machine collaboration.
• Better and cheaper sensors make a robot more able to understand and respond to its environment.
• Robot bodies are becoming more adaptive and flexible, with designers taking inspiration from the
extraordinary flexibility and dexterity of complex biological structures.
• And robots are becoming more connected, benefiting from the cloud-computing revolution by
being able to access instructions and information remotely.
• Using GPS technology, just like smartphones, robots are beginning to be used in precision
• Dexter Bot, Baxter and LBR iiwa, are designed to be easily programmable and to handle
manufacturing tasks that are laborious or uncomfortable for human workers.
• Societies will face challenges in realizing technologies.
• Surging capabilities of robots and artificial intelligence will see a range of current jobs
• Business Perspective: There will be big winners and losers as collaborative technologies,
robots and artificial intelligence transform the nature of work.
• Role of a senior manager in a deeply data-driven world is going to shift.
• Judgments about consumers and potential consumers will be made instantaneously.
• Cybersecurity will be at par with other intelligence and defense priorities.
WHY RESEARCH AI SAFETY?
• In the near term, the goal of keeping AI’s impact on society beneficial motivates research in many
areas, from economics and law to technical topics such as verification, validity, security and
• It becomes all the more important that an AI system does what you want it to do.
• By inventing revolutionary new technologies, such a superintelligence might help us eradicate war,
disease, and poverty, and so the creation of strong AI (AGI) might be the biggest event in human
• Align the goals of the AI with ours before it becomes super-intelligent.
• Research today will help us better prepare for and prevent such potentially negative consequences
in the future, thus enjoying the benefits of AI while avoiding pitfalls.
HOW CAN AI BE DANGEROUS?
• The AI is programmed to do something devastating.
• The AI is programmed to do something beneficial, but it develops a destructive method for
achieving its goal.
Apparemment, vous utilisez un bloqueur de publicités qui est en cours d'exécution. En ajoutant SlideShare à la liste blanche de votre bloqueur de publicités, vous soutenez notre communauté de créateurs de contenu.
Vous détestez les publicités?
Nous avons mis à jour notre politique de confidentialité.
Nous avons mis à jour notre politique de confidentialité pour nous conformer à l'évolution des réglementations mondiales en matière de confidentialité et pour vous informer de la manière dont nous utilisons vos données de façon limitée.
Vous pouvez consulter les détails ci-dessous. En cliquant sur Accepter, vous acceptez la politique de confidentialité mise à jour.