The class materials presented during the Spring 2016 Girl Develop It SEO course.
Have you ever wondered how Google determines how to rank your website? Or why your competitors are beating you onto page one of Google? These things don't happen by chance. There isn't a person behind a computer at Google HQ deciding who will rank where. There's a science to all of it, and it's called search engine optimization (or SEO for short).
There are a number of factors contributing to how websites rank and learning about these factors will help you to "optimize" the sites you work on. This course will cover a variety of these topics:
• On-page: On-page optimization is one part of SEO that you may be most familiar with - we'll cover the basics from meta tags, in addition to other on-page factors that may help you rank.
• Technical: Discover the technical issues that may prevent search engines from crawling and indexing your site. We'll also cover some other technical aspects of the semantic web that are beneficial for SEO.
• Link Building: Learn about what link building is, why it's vital for every website, and how to get started.
• Social Media:Discover the ways that having a engaged social community can help with SEO. Learn how to find these people with the use of free tools and programs.
• Measurement: Learning to analyze your websites' performance is vital to determining its success or failure. We'll cover the basics of how to get started with Google Analytics and necessary metrics to be aware of.
What You Will Walk Away With:
• An understanding of the factors that help a website rank in search results
• A collection of tools you can immediately start using with your site
• Resources to explore to learn more — from beginner to more advanced