Learn and understand the basics of Search Engine Optimization, why companies should opt for SEO strategy, and how it helps in the long run. This presentation is focused on those learners who have heard this term SEO for first time.
Moses GomesB2B Digital Marketing Professional à Mirum India (Formerly Social Wavelength) : A WPP Company
2. • What is a Search Engine?
• Examples of popular Search Engines
• Search Engines statistics
• Why is Search Engine marketing important?
• What is a SEO Algorithm?
• Steps to developing a good SEO strategy
• Importance of SEO.
• Ranking factors
• Basic tips for optimization
3. What is a Search Engine?
Definition: An internet-based tool that searches an index of documents for
a particular term, phrase or text specified by the user. Commonly used to
refer to large web-based search engines that search through billions of
pages on the internet.
Spider, Indexer, Database, Algorithm
Find matching documents and display them according to relevance
Frequent updates to documents searched and ranking algorithm
Strive to produce “better”, more relevant results than competitors
9. What is Search Engine Optimization?
Refers to the process of “optimizing” both the
on-page and off-page ranking factors in order
to achieve high search engine rankings for
targeted search terms.
Refers to the “industry” that revolves around
obtaining high rankings in the search engines
for desirable keyword search terms as a means
of increasing the relevant traffic to a given
Refers to an individual or company that
optimizes websites for its client. Has several
related meanings, and usually refers to an
individual/firm that focuses on optimizing for
“organic” search engine rankings
10. • Reverse engineering, research and experiments gives SEOs (search engine
optimization professionals) a “pretty good” idea of the major factors and
approximate weight assignments
• The SEO algorithm is constantly changed, tweaked & updated
• Websites and documents being searched are also constantly changing
• Varies by Search Engine – some give more weight to on-page factors, some to
What is SEO Algorithm
14. • Research desirable keywords and search phrases
(Google Keyword Planner, WordTracker, Overture)
• Identify search phrases to target (should be relevant to business/market, obtainable and
• “Clean” and optimize a website’s HTML code for appropriate keyword density, title tag
optimization, internal linking structure, headings and subheadings, etc.
• Help in writing copy to appeal to both search engines and actual website visitors
• Study competitors (competing websites) and search engines
• Implement a quality link building campaign
• Add Quality content
• Constant monitoring of rankings for targeted search terms
Steps for developing good SEO strategy
17. On – Page factors
• On page optimization is the process
by which various elements on an
individual web page are structured
so that the web page can be found
by the search engines for specific
keyword(s) or keyword phrases.
• On page optimization will not
guarantee any top rating within a
search engine, only off page
optimization can offer that
guarantee. However, off page
optimization is far more effective
WHEN on page optimization is in
Off – Page factors
Off page Optimization is optimization
done off the Page, like getting relevant
links from other sites, link exchange
with quality relevant sites, choosing
relevant anchor text from the perfect
location on the different pages of
different sites etc.
Website Ranking Factors
19. On – Page factors
• Title Tag
• Meta Keywords
• Meta Description
• Robots file
• Alt text
• Alt Image Tag
• Content of Web Page
• Keyword Density
• Optimized URL Structure
• Anchor Text
• Navigation structure
• Site Map
• Google Site Map
Off – Page factors
• Link popularity
• Anchor text
• Page Rank
• Back links
• Social network
• Press Releases
• Participate in Answer site
• Video submission
• Image sharing
List of On – Page and Off – Page Factors
20. • Tips to Integrate Keywords within Web
• Use Keywords at the top of the web page,
within your selectable text
• Try to start paragraphs and lines with main
• Use keywords in headings and subheadings
• Top 2,000 characters are the most
important characters of every page
• Use keywords as hyper or anchor links
Web Content - Why Content is King?
21. • It has a positive psychological impact on a visitor.
• Help you create a brand identity.
• Even the ‘brand recall’ would be much higher.
• Increase in targeted on-line traffic.
• Better web site positioning.
• Dominate in competition with your mirror sites.
• Fast measurable ROI.
• Increased and boosted product sales and online visibility.
• Lower client acquisition costs.
• Broaden web-marketing share.
• Compete efficiently against larger competitors.
• Continuous Visibility.
• Make the most out of the best tool for advertising.
• The cheapest marketing tool even on the net
Why SEARCH ENGINE is important
22. Basic Tips & Optimization Techniques
1. Research keywords related to your business
2. Identify competitors, utilize benchmarking techniques and identify level of competition
3. Utilize descriptive title tags for each page
4. Ensure that your text is HTML-text and not image text
5. Use text links when ever possible
6. Use appropriate keywords in your content and internal hyperlinks (don’t overdo!)
7. Obtain inbound links from related websites
8. Monitor your search engine rankings and more importantly your website traffic statistics and sales/
9. Educate yourself about search engine marketing
10. Focus on creating the best site possible. If you create quality, the rankings will follow.
23. Basic Tips & Optimization Techniques, cont..
11. Understand that a good ranking isn't the end-all and be-all. If you have a ecommerce site what you
ultimately want is more sales.
12. Target keywords that are specific enough to produce targeted traffic, but not so specific that nobody
searches on them.
13. Put your keywords in the Title, heading tags, body copy, and ALT parameters of your pages. Make sure
your keywords are reasonably near the top of the page. Include at least 250 words on each page at a
14. Link up your site well internally. Each page of the site should link back to the home page as well as a
handful of the most important pages on the site, as well as pages related to the page in question.
15. Link to high-quality sites which you think will be of interest to your visitors, whether those sites link
back to you or not. Link from your content pages when appropriate as opposed to from a links page.
16. Submit your site to directories (not link farms) particular to your industry.
17. Make your pages lean and fast-loading.
18. Share what you know with others.
24. I Tweet @ https://twitter.com/inspectordhola
I Blog @ http://www.mosesgomes.com/
My ppt @ http://www.slideshare.net/gomesrelations
My profile @ https://in.linkedin.com/in/mosesgomes
My Friends @ www.facebook.com/moses.gomes
I answer queries @ http://www.quora.com/Moses-Gomes
My photos @ http://instagram.com/mosesvgomez