GAMIFICATION is NOT…
• Badges and leaderboards
– Game components (not all games)
– Games uses gamification
• Achieving learning goals
– That’s e-learning and goal fulfillment…
• Changing behaviour!
• Triggering people to do things
• Creating addictive feedback structures:
– Achievement oriented
• Game Design Thinking
”Think like a Game Designer”
”Something that people not just
can - but want to use”
• Player Type Analysis
• Core Drive mapping
• Game Mechanics
• User Journey
• Self DeterminationTheory
• Wrap your mind around the “game” of a an
activity, a service or a product:
• What are the objectives?
• What are the possible moves?
• Who are the players?
• What are the Challenges?
• Also: Win-conditions, Rules, sub activities,
feedback and long term engagement and
• Ideation phase
What problems to solve?
Why we are doing this?
No service or application yet?
Context not completely locked?
Improving an existing but
How can game design thinking
solve the problem? A set context!
THE CHALLENGE IN
ANY DIGITAL STRATEGY
• Not just getting people to USE the supporting services
• Getting people to WANT to use the supporting services!
HOW DO WE DO THAT?
• Designing the right services!
• That are aligned with the business goals!
• That solves people’s need!
• That supports peoples behavior!
• That are challenging in the right way!