EXPLOITING THE RECRUITMENT
Director, Adaptive Threat
Veris Group, LLC
Director of Recruiting
Veris Group, LLC
• The Recruitment Process
Cultural Fit Test
• Summary and Wrap-Up
THE FULL RECRUITMENT PROCESS
THE RESUMÉ – WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Main Criteria: Do you have the passion to be
Have you presented anywhere?
What projects are you working on?
Do you have a blog?
Are you attending meetups and conferences?
• Do you have a relevant technical foundation?
• Are you well-rounded?
• Are you current with your tools?
• Can you express methodologies?
• Do you have relevant meaningful certifications?
(OSCP, OSCE, OSEE)
for Black Dahlia
THE RESUMÉ – THE FINER POINTS
Clean, Easy-to-Read Resumé
• Arial, Helvetica, Verdana
• Align text left
• Strategic use of italics, bold, CAPS, and
• Tailor your keywords
• Use Grammarly or LanguageTool to avoid
THE RESUMÉ – TELL US A STORY
• Show a progression
• You have 1/3 of a page to capture attention
• Align your online profiles to your resume
• Social media follows you to the grave
Purpose: To determine if we are going to be able to accommodate the job and
• Motivations for Change?
• Clearance or Clearable?
• Experience Levels – Penetration Tester
Senior – 5 to 8 Years of Experience
Mid – 3 to 5 Years of Experience
Junior - 0 to 3 Years of Experience
• Travel Requirements – 25%
Purpose: To assess the candidate’s ability for critical thinking,
resourcefulness, and written communication
• Scripting Challenges – Problem Solving
• Online CTF Exercises
• Technical Write-up of Thought Process
• Report Corrections
Purpose: To determine the candidate’s technical
• Review the technical challenges – ensure full
• Know the tools and technical resources
highlighted on your resume
• You will be asked
• Looks better if you admit your knowledge
• Tools and Methodologies
• Deep dive into concepts and technical
• Evaluates depth of understanding
Purpose: Determine how you fit within the team
• Complete overview of company and team
• Are you onboard?
• Is this a medium term commitment versus a near
3-5 year option versus monthly
In services, longer term direction is dependent on
• Address questions, concern, or compensation
Purpose: To determine if you are a cultural fit within the team
• Every team has a persona, do you mesh?
• Interface with multiple people at various levels on the team
• Discussions occur for every potential hire
• Red Flags
Closed Mentality – Knowledge Sharing
• You are more than your resume, prove it
• Be responsive to requests during the recruitment process
• Create and contribute
• Ask questions
• Participate in the industry
• Show your passion
• “10 Things That Require Zero Talent” -
• “10 TIPS FOR ASPIRING SECURITY PROFESSIONALS” -
RESOURCES – DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
• Figure out the message of your target and review their content
• Company Blogs and Personal Blogs of Employees