SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
Kazakhstan United Nations Security Council presentation
THE REPUBLIC OF KAZAKHSTAN
ANNOUNCES ITS CANDIDACY FOR
IN THE UNITED NATIONS SECURITY
KAZAKHSTAN IN THE UN
• Since 1992 Kazakhstan is a member of UN
• International Ministerial Conference of Landlocked and
Transit Developing Countries and Donor Countries and
International Financial and Development Institutions on
Transit Transport Cooperation, August 2003, Almaty
• 63rd session of the Economic and Social Commission for
Asia and the Pacific, May 2007, Almaty
• International Conference of World Health Organization
dedicated to the 30th Anniversary of the Alma-Ata
Declaration on Primary Health Care
• 18th session of the General Assembly of the World
• Underlines its commitment to peacekeeping activities
through participation in the UN Standby Arrangements
System, helping the UN to respond rapidly to threats to
international peace since 2003. Represented by the
“Kazbat” peacekeeping battalion in Iraq
• Member of all UN specialized agencies, two regional
commissions: UNECE and ESCAP
• Kazakhstan has been elected a member of the UN Human
Rights Council for 2013-2015.
PLAYING A PROMINENT ROLE
ON THE WORLD STAGE
• Kazakhstan is an active proponent of nuclear
disarmament and is working to create a world free of
• In 1992, Kazakhstan launched the Conference on
Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia
(CICA) – which has become one of the most respected
platforms for security in Asia in the last 20 years
• In 2010, Kazakhstan chaired one of the most
influential organizations in the world, the
Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe
• During 2011-2012, Kazakhstan held the chairmanship
of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)
• Kazakhstan is playing an active and important role in
the Istanbul Process on Afghanistan
• Provided a platform for the P5+1 negotiations on
Iran’s nuclear program
• Initiated the Congress of Leaders of World and
COMPREHENSIVE VIEW ON
PEACE AND SECURITY
• The active involvement of our country in
a large number of regional and global
processes provides it with the knowledge
and experience to address many of the
issues facing the United Nations Security
• Kazakhstan is committed to the
comprehensive concept of peace and
security. Peace and security, human
rights and sustainable development are
interdependent issues that must be
carried out simultaneously and
PRIORITIES FOR PEACE
FEEDING THE WORLD.
• Everyday 25,000 people and more than 10,000
children in the world die due to hunger and hungerrelated diseases.
• From 2010-2012, more than 870 million people faced
famine. This is just a fraction of the billions of people
whose health, well-being and lives are affected by
• Kazakhstan has a vibrant agricultural sector that
ensures its position as one of the top global exporters
of grain and flour.
• According to UN data, Kazakhstan is in a group of
proactive nations providing humanitarian aid. We are
establishing an international development assistance
agency, KazAID, to further enhance that role.
VITAL TO PEACE.
VITAL TO PROGRESS.
• Water is one of our planet’s scarcest and most
• More than 2 billion people in the world do not have
sufficient access to water.
• In just two years, half of earth’s population will
experience a shortage of clean, safe water. By
2025, almost two-thirds of the planet will suffer from
a shortage of clean, safe water.
• Kazakhstan, as the largest landlocked country in the
world, has never taken water security for granted.
• We are successfully addressing one of the toughest
global environmental challenges: the drying up of the
Aral Sea. Through our efforts, the waters of the
shrinking Aral Sea are gradually returning.
• Kazakhstan actively cooperates with our neighboring
countries to manage trans-boundary rivers.
POWERING THE FUTURE.
• One in five people in the world do not have access to
• The burning of fossil fuels causes air pollution, which
results in the premature deaths of about 800,000
• Kazakhstan possesses world-class conventional
• Despite this fact, Kazakhstan is committed to
developing a green economy.
The “Rio+20” United Nations Conference on
Sustainable Development” supports the “Green Bridge”
Partnership Program, initiated by Kazakhstan.
The main theme of “EXPO-2017” in Astana is “Energy of
A GLOBAL LEADER IN
• contributed to global non-proliferation
• voluntarily renounced all its nuclear
weapons, following the collapse of the USSR.
Kazakhstan had the world’s fourth largest nuclear
arsenal on its territory
• initiated a resolution to proclaim August 29 as the
International Day Against Nuclear Tests, adopted in
2009 by the 64th UN General Assembly
• offered to host an international nuclear fuel bank
under IAEA auspices
• launched the ATOM Project, an international
campaign for peace, during the international Forum
for a Nuclear-Free World in Astana in 2012
• proposed the adoption of the Universal Declaration of
a Nuclear-Weapon-Free World at the Global Nuclear
Security Summit in Washington, D.C. (2010) and Seoul
(2012) (bottom left)
COOPERATION: THE KEY
Kazakhstan would seek to utilize United Nations mechanisms in order to
achieve goals for:
• The maintenance of international peace and security.
• Disarmament and non-proliferation.
• Facilitating the settlement of crises and conflicts, as well as “preventive”
• Responding quickly and effectively to humanitarian emergencies, including
mass and gross violations of human rights and the rights of national
• Peace keeping and peace building.