SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
Community building Community
#HackDSJ July 17th and 18th, 2015
Diversity & Social Justice
Social Dashboard j.mp/HackDSJ_Social
White House Presidential
Innovation Fellowship Program
Why Baltimore? Why this theme?
Economic Mobility: Of the 100 largest counties in the country,
Harvard researchers found that Baltimore was where children in
low-income households faced the worst odds in terms of upward
Life expectancy in 15 Baltimore neighborhoods, including the one
where Freddie Gray lived, is shorter than in North Korea
The Children – Our Future
• Baltimore teens (15-19 years old) face poorer health conditions and a bleaker economic
outlook than those in economically distressed cities in Nigeria, India, China, and South Africa,
• Teens in Baltimore, along with Johannesburg, saw the highest prevalence of sexual violence,
substance abuse, depression, and PTSD.
• They were also most likely to report witnessing community violence.
Income Disparity or Inequality
• In 2014, Baltimore (with unemployment rate of 8.1%, which is nearly 1.5 times than the
national rate of 5.5%) had one of the largest gaps between the rich and poor in the country.
• The typical Baltimore resident in the bottom ﬁfth of earners made $13,588 in 2014, whereas
those in top 5 percent made an average of $166,924 in 2014.
Race and Income Inequality
When it comes to income inequality between blacks and whites, Baltimore is not alone. As
FiveThirtyEight reported, this racial disparity is common in cities where at least 10 percent
of the population is black.
The Justice System
• Baltimore incarcerates a greater portion of its population than New York City, Philadelphia,
and Los Angeles County.
• Baltimore also has one of the highest inmate populations in the country.
Our Hopes and Dreams
• Create data products, models, game
strategies, software application that
help to solve these problems.
• Do it in the open.
• Create resources that everyone can
use and improve upon after this
• Interact. Make new friends (and allies).
Enjoy the process. Have fun.