• Total = Whole
• Quality = Characteristics of a product or service that bear on its
ability to satisfy given needs
• Management = Directing and controlling a group of people or an
• TQM meaning is act to manage whole to achieve the excellence.
• The aim of TQM is prevention of defects rather than detection of defects.
• Maintenance of the quality with continuous improvement is very important
for pharmaceutical industries
• Definition : “TQM is a management approach for an organization,
centered on quality, based on the participation of all its members and
aiming at long-term success through customer satisfaction and benefits
to all members of the organization and to the society.”
6. • 1. Customer Focus
• An organization should know their customers
• Quality management process aims to meet customer requirements and
deliver beyond expected levels of product or service.
• 2. Leadership
• Good leaders help to unite an organization and give people a sense of
• They must accept the responsibility for continuous quality
improvements and be dedicated to empowering others.
7. • 3. People Involvement
• This principle helps to bridge the gap of communication from
management to employees.
• This also enhances the capability to create value
• 4. Process Approach
• All the activities should be managed as interrelated processes to create
consistent and predictable results
• An organization achieves its desired result when related resources and
activities are managed as a process.
8. • 5.Continues improvement
• An ongoing focus on improvement is a fundamental principle for the
success of an organization.
• 6. Evidence- based decision making
• The decisions are based on the insights gained from analyzing and
• This will help to produce desired results
• 7.Relationship Management
• .Organizations should manage their relationships with interested parties
such as suppliers very well.
• This will help to sustain the levels of success achieved.
9. BENEFIT OF TQM
• Improve Quality
• Customer satisfaction
• Employee participation
• Employee satisfaction
• Working relationship
10. CONCEPT OF TQM
• TQM requires 6 basic concepts :
1. A committed and involved management to provide long term top to bottom
2. An unwavering focus on the customer, both internally and externally.
3. Effective involvement and utilization to the entire workforce
4. Continues improvement of the business and production process
5. Treating suppliers as partners
6. Establish performance measures for the process
11. IMPORTANCE OF TQM
1.Its ensure that there is a high quality of product and service
2.Its ensure Customer satisfaction
3.Its increase efficacy and productivity that positively impact the
revenue of company
4.Its improve team spirit within the organization
• Text book of Total Quality Management by Suganthi and Anand
A.Samuel 21 edition 2005.
• • Total Quality Management by R.S Nagarajan, A.A.Arivalangar,new
age international publishers,1 edition,