4. Introduction to music & music therapy.
• It is the art of arranging sounds in time
through the elements of melody, harmony,
rhythm, & timbre.
• It is one of the universal cultural aspects of
all human societies.
• It is the clinical use of music to accomplish
individualized goals such as reducing stress,
improving mood & self expression.
• It is an evidence based therapy well-
established in the health community.
• It may include listening, singing, playing or
trauma & crisis.
People with ASD
3 Individuals with
4 People with alzheimer’s disease
6. First music therapist
• Thayer Gaston – father of music therapy
• The first music therapy college programs also came to be in
• From united states, described the qualities of musical
expressions as therapeutic.
• Worked at the university of Kansas, as a professor of music
7. Benefits of music therapy-
• Music can lessen feelings of isolation
• Improved mood
• Decreased depression
• Anxiety reduction
• Stress management
• Bottled up emotions are set free