Seeing to Learn/Learning to See...Internet@Schools West 2014
1. E201 – Learning to See, Seeing
to Learn: Visual Literacy in
Internet@Schools West 2014
Mary Ann Bell, Professor of Library Science
Sam Houston State University
Diane Cordell, Consultant and Writer,
CyberSmart Education Company
4. SO WHAT’S ALL THE BUZZ?
– Today’s learners are more visual
– Standards mandate that students can
– They are great organization tools
– Making infographics is an activity that can
encourage creative thinking.
5. Ways to use photography
JUST A FEW MORE PHOTO IDEAS…
• Alphabet projects
• Pair up with Web 2.0 apps
• Student-made clip art
• Fun to make
– Use as promotions, programming, etc.
– Use in lessons
• Have students make them!
– Draw upon trending memes
– Students start with an image and then make a
meme to fit.
– USE ORIGINAL GRAPHICS OR PHOTOS!
• Funny Teacher Memes:
• Mrs. Orman’s Classroom:
• Ermahgerd: Memes in the Classroom?
10. CREATING YOUR OWN MEMES
HELPFUL SITES AND TIPS
• Meme generator: https://imgflip.com/memegenerator
• Meme center: www.memecenter.com/
• Don’t forget video memes such as variations on the song “Happy”
• But you can just as easily use Paint or MS Office or
• And original graphics are best
• Check out meme generators ahead of time for ones
• that are OK with students.
• Use memes to promote library or special activities
“Calm Nancy” by Mary Ann Bell
12. As we say in Texas…
What really bubbles my chili is…
14. WHAT’S ALL THE BUZZ ABOUT
• Definition from Whatis.com:
• OK so it’s any image that enables viewer
to assimilate information.
• How are they useful?
– Use them to teach
– Have students create
15. FIRST STEPS
• DEFINE infographics
• ANALYZE some existing infographics for
visual appeal and quality of content
• EXPLORE some free
infographic resources that are currently
18. OR COMPLEX….
The PadagogyWheel by Allan Carrington is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0
19. Teach Infographics
• Standards stipulate using visual effects
– Any infographics
• Avoid beating them to death!
• Stress evaluating information as well as reading.
• Allow students to explore online.
• Here’s a great place to start planning:
• Here’s another: https://www.smore.com/sxw8
20. Have Students Create
• Do this AFTER defining and learning about
evaluating and understanding.
• Use both digital and hand drawn
23. Kristin Fontichiaro
• Home Page: http://www.fontichiaro.com/
• What Kids Should Know About Reading/Creating Infographics:
• Applying L.A.T.C.H to Infographics:
• What Kids Should Know About Reading/Creating
• Free pdfs! http://cherrylakepublishing.com//activities
24. Guilia Forsythe!
“I work at a university supporting teaching & lifelong
learning. I think in pictures. Doodling helps me be a
better listener, problem solver and communicator.”
• Blog: http://gforsythe.ca/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/giuliaforsythe
• Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gforsythe/
25. Good search terms
• Infographics in Creative Commons
– Iste and infographics
– Teks and infographics (Texas)
– Common core and infographics
– Specific kinds, ie venns, timelines, etc.
• You will find tons of great resources!
26. INFOGRAPHIC GOLD MINES
“Gold Nuggets” by Francisco Martin
• Visual Everything! http://www.thevisualeverything.com/
• Over 100 Incredible Infographic Tools and Resources:
• Kids Discover Infographics:
31. How about note taking?
Guilia Forsythe made this to map David Wiley’s Mapping the Future talk.
32. VIVA Lynda Barry!!!
• She is an ARTIST and we cannot all be like her, but she shows
• Look at examples from kids:
• Here’s a great Pinterest Board:
• Here’s a super video! It would be great for introducing the idea:
• How about this prof who draws syllabi? I am not in her league but
take a look! https://www.drawnandquarterly.com/author/lynda-barry
36. Remember to teach ethical use…
– Always give attribution!
– If you’re not sure an image is OK, select
another or ask permission…I’ve never been
37. My Stuff
• PINTEREST PAGES WITH INFOGRAPHICS
• WIKI WITH ALL MY LINKS TO EVERYTHING:
• ALL MY DIIGO LINKS…
– Tags+ “Infographics” and “Monterey14”