Chuck Liu Design Research Lead KISSmetrics @chuckjliu firstname.lastname@example.org
Market research helps you make decisions.
3 Essential Mantras of Market Research 1
Goal: Make better decisions, faster.
Get things done in days, not weeks or months.
Market research priorities are diﬀerent depending on what stage your business is at
There are many FREE resources out there.
Google Trends: Measure market potential and interest AVINASH KAUSHIK HTTP://KISS.LY/LEANAC
Talking to experts: Get the detailed scoop of workﬂows and processes
1. Hypothesis- driven Have an idea to prove or disprove
2. Short and targeted 5 days, 2 weeks max
3 Ways for Early Stage Businesses to do Lean Market Research 2
1. Survey + Social Distribution Cheap (or free), but requires more work on your part
1. Make a screener or survey 2. Tweet/share it out 3. Analyze
Try the good ole’ “asking for a friend” (except it’s you really asking)
Whether you’re actually asking for a friend or not, this actually works be er, especially if you tag a potential competitor
1. Ask a question on Quora 2. Revitalize an old relevant thread with a new comment 3. Ask people to answer an existing question
2. AdWords Easy setup, variable expenses
You Pay for Clicks, Which Is Pre y Realistic
AdWords Keyword Planner does the work for you in volume and interest
1. Practice your pitch 2. Limited character count = concise messaging 3. Bad ideas = no problem
3. Amazon Mechanical Turk Disclaimer: I haven’t tried yet, but I want to
Mechanical Turk Plan: Simple • Design a test • Distribute a test • Analyze the data
3 Strategies for Existing Businesses/ Enterprises to Getting Faster Research Done 3
1. In-App Surveys Contextual, relevant, and dismissible
Existing workﬂow and pain points • Nudge your customers with in-app surveys • Open-ended
In-App Survey Pros and Cons Pros • Low cost • Low eﬀort • Can be turned on/oﬀ as you please to measure activities over time • Quick responses based on targeting technique Cons • Limits demographic to your existing users • Can potentially annoy your users
2. Experience Sampling Uncover user needs and behaviors
Pros • Highlights behaviors, moods, stress levels • Gives context to these behaviors depending on how it was administered (same time every day, multiple times a day, etc.) • Measures diﬀerences over time Cons • Risk of participants dropping oﬀ or stopping participation • Incentive needed to lure in • Not good for checking if someone is doing a task repetitively Experience Sampling Pros and Cons
3. Persona Advisory Board
Quick Review: Personas (thanks to Buﬀer for these images!
Pros • Highly contextual information about day in the life, workﬂow, and process • Visibility into which tools are used for tasks • Deeper relationship and trust built with customer Cons • High amount of eﬀort on your part • Recruiting can be hit or miss depending on your relationship with customers / th