SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
ACT 1 “An Inspector Calls”
1. Mr. Birling is very pleased with Sheila and Gerald’s engagement because she is
interested in the title gerald’s family carries, when Sheila and Gerald get married their
family will socially raise. So
2. Mr. Birling during the engagement dinner gives a speech about, politics, how it is
impossible to go to war, the titanic and that it is the greatest ships of all times and it
would never sink, and the author is ironic, because this things did happen and he is
showing the thought people had about how the world was developing, and nothing
bad could happen.
3. Mr. Birling has a dismissive attitude to Eric during his speech when he tells him that
he is too young and foolish to have an opinion on political affairs, he tells him that
when he gets older he will understand better and will realise that all the things that
were happening back then will be over when he gets older.
4. He is referring to the fact that writers, and particularly the ones mentioned, were
known for inventing scifi stories and things that weren't real, when businessmen such
as Mr. Birling weren't heard or listened to when they spoke about true facts.
5. Because he thinks that Lady Croft may object Sheila because she belongs to a higher
class, and has more power than Sheila.
6. Birling tries to promote his future knighthood to Gerald during a private conversation,
and he feels the need to do this so that he ensures Gerald's and Sheila’s marriage,
which would ascend them to a higher class. Also, Lady croft was not in favor of this
marriage as the Birling were from a lower class, and this union would affect their
7. Because he thinks that in business man should take control over their own companies,
and look after themselves, because there is no other solution as to have a successful
8. Because when the bell rang they were in the middle of the night, and having a
conversation about business and politics,
11. Eva Smith died after swallowing some strong bleach, she committed suicide, and the
inspector is there to interrogate the Burling family as they had been involved
personally and individually with the girl.
12. Because the inspector thought that it would be a better idea to only show the picture
one at a time, because if everyone threw themselves to see the picture it would be a
mess, and by only showing one by one he would interrogate easily. But in the end we
realise that inspector Goole was not a real inspector and that may have been why he
didn't show to everybody the picture, and because it may have not been the same
person he showed to each one of the Birlings.
13. the tension is shown between Birling and Eric because Eric is playing the devil
advocate so his father got mad at him.
14. He introduced Gerald to the inspector because as gerald came from an important
family maybe the inspector would get scared and leave. It was a way of threatening
15. he has no sense of collective responsability because, he is very individualistic and he
does not like the collective work or problems.
16. she was a lively goodlooking girl countrybred, I fancy a good worker.
17. by telling that he shouldn't have fire her if she was a good worker. He should do
something about it.
18. Birling tells the inspector that he is friend of Colonel Roberts, the inspector's boss. He
tries to intimidate him by telling him that sometimes he plays golf with the colonel.
He kind of threats him.
19. Gerald tries to his social superiority by telling the inspector that he should have more
priviledges because he is from the royal family.
20. at milwards, sheila really wanted a dress, But it did not fit well on her, but it fitted
perfectly in Eva, and so she felt jealous.